Kansas City
(816) 883-8988
Contact Us

Osage Beach
(573) 365-3500
Contact Us

Kansas City
(816) 883-8988
Contact Us

Osage Beach
(573) 365-3500
Contact Us

Toy Hauler Loading Guide

Investing in a toy hauler is a great way to instantly improve your camping experience. Not only can you enjoy all the outdoors has to offer, but you’ll also be able to bring some of your favorite powersports equipment with you and still have a place to rest and relax at the end of the day. However, loading a toy hauler is a little different than loading any other RV. You’ll have more weight to work with and loading your toys will be a bit tricky.

That’s why Unlimited RV has provided you with a guide to loading your toy hauler in a way that’s safe and ensures you’ll still get to your destination quickly and efficiently. Try out some of our tips and if you have additional questions or run into problems, come talk to our experienced staff at Independence and Eldon, Missouri. We also proudly serve those in Kansas City and Osage Beach, Missouri.

60/40 Rule

Before you start loading, you’ll want to make sure you’re loading your toy hauler in a way that’s balanced and safe for towing. After all, an unbalanced trailer can favor one side when turning and make handling more difficult and dangerous.

This means distributing the weight evenly from left to right, however, not so evenly from front to back. For this, you’ll want to follow the 60/40 rule: 60% of the total weight should be in the front half closer to the hitch and the remaining 40% should taper off towards the back.

The bigger the toy hauler, the easier this will be as more weight will naturally be where all the furniture is. However, if you have a smaller model, you’ll want to pay special attention to where you’re putting your powersport vehicles.

Tie Downs

Your next concern should be making sure your toys won’t roll around while you’re in transit. Many toy haulers come with ways to tie down your vehicles, although only in ways of the “D”-rings that come with the trailer.

You’ll need to provide your own straps, preferably ratchet straps as these push down on the vehicle’s suspension to keep it from moving around. If you feel there are not enough rings in the trailer to help you with this, there are aftermarket parts you can install.

Disembarking

Now it’s time to load the toy hauler. The most important thing to remember is to take it slow. Even in large toy haulers, it’s going to be a tight squeeze so overshooting your mark could damage the interior of your RV or your powersports vehicle, so keep it slow and steady.

Minimize the Angle

Try to minimize the angle at which you drive into the toy hauler. If there’s a way you can extend your ramp or lower it so there’s less of a sharp incline to get up, that will help you keep your slow and steady pace.

Practice First

Even when you’re being careful, loading your toy hauler can be difficult. That’s why we recommend practicing this process before your first trip out so you can be more confident and faster when loading your trailer when it really matters.

Hopefully, this gives you some idea of what you should be thinking about when loading your toy hauler. Once the tough stuff is out of the way, you can get back to the whole reason for getting the toy hauler in the first place: enjoying the great outdoors. If you’re still looking for the right toy hauler, then stop by Unlimited RV. We carry a variety of toy haulers for sale, which you can see at our Independence and Eldon, Missouri, locations. We also proudly serve those in Osage Beach and Kansas City, Missouri.

Something went wrong